Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Genealogy Begins with You

Navigating the Past, April, 2015

Conference Moment #5: Racing and Rest

As I was racing from session to session, I tried to look out for people that I know from Facebook. As I skipped Thursday and only attended on Friday and Saturday, I was really hoping that friends got acclimated on Thursday and that I could just ask them where rooms were and the exhibit hall. 

It worked. In fact, it worked so well that I was able to take  two "rests' in our hotel room so I wasn't face-down in my food at the banquet that evening. There were rumored to be 900 highly caffeinated genealogists in the Rhode Island Convention Center. That's a lot of people. I'm not good with crowds.

Heather Rojo held down the fort for the Special Internet Group on Thursday night. I'm glad it went well as it needs to go on without me. I'm not going to stop blogging but I am going to cut down on conferences, family reunions and group meetings. I practiced that this year and it went well.

Rhode Island is my home state. I lived there until I married and we moved to Massachusetts. I went to college in Providence and went to a prom at the hotel in this photo. It has been 50 years since I graduated from high school. 

As both hubs and I had parents that lived long lives, we spent a lot of time driving back and forth from Massachusetts to Rhode Island. It wore us out. As a result, we are tired of vacation travel.

So, now you know something about me. Our story begins with ourselves. What are you going to do to tell the future about your journey? You will be an ancestor you know....

1 comment:

  1. Midge..I love this post. At some point I believe we all need to rethink our genealogy lives and our commitments to all it entails. I am in the process of doing the same thing. hanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete