Monday, April 11, 2016

An Only Child Production

September 12, 1976
Privately held, by Midge Frazel, 2016

An Only Child Production
I am told that April 12th is "Only Child Day" and if that is so, I would like to put in my 2 cents for the fact that I am an only child who loves being an only child.

Let me tell you, I do not claim to know anything about siblings and in all these years have learned nothing about the joy of having siblings. I would have been miserable.

You can't say you don't love a situation if you haven't experienced the opposite, but in this case I am happy to report that I would not have had it any other way. A friend once told me that I would have been "the worst kind of sister". I applauded him for being correct.

I liked being an "only" so much that I decided either I was having one child or no children. I am happy to report that my daughter loved being an only child. 

However, she is very good at having friends and married a man who has siblings. She decided to have two children and continue working. Good for her.

People told me that I was being selfish by having an only child and most of those adult people who had that opinion made an assumption that I had siblings. I waited politely for them to finish with their rant and them told them I was an only child and from that point on they should mind their own business. Adults in the generation before me were too quick to indoctrinate us "boomers" with their opinions.


When I was a child, most adults had at least three children and most of them were not role models for having a big family. I witnessed a fist fight between adult brothers in my neighborhood. Yikes. Fortunately, my mother was with me and she explained how people don't always get along.


I started my genealogy adventure when I was eight and have never stopped asking questions about family. I have inherited more "family stuff" that I can manage but that is OK. 

That's my take on "Only Child" Day. I am happy with who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment