Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sentimental Sunday: Watch Hill Bracelet

Sentimental Sunday: Watch Hill Bracelet
The Coral Watch Hill Bracelet, circa 1927, photo by Midge Frazel
Scanned with Flip-Pal
This little girls bracelet belonged to my mother. She bought it in a shop at historic (my video) Watch Hill which is in Westerly, Rhode Island. Her grandfather, Charles Edward Stewart, was her favorite grandpa because he was always giving her money to spend. She gave it to me and I have worn it. Because my wrists are so small, it still fits me. The clasp is not secure and I was sure I'd lost it.

I must have put it in my writing desk. I did look everywhere, even there. But, because of the space under the pen and inkwell area, it easily slipped out of sight. I went looking for something in the desk and that's when it moved just enough to me to tilt the desk and safely get it out. (I put this orange envelope under it just enough so you can see how it happened. See the blue arrow). I cleaned the bracelet and then took everything out of the desk and put the items either in the orange envelope or in small plastic bags.

Space under the pen and inkwell, photo by Midge Frazel, 2015


Important items  in bags ready to be labeled and not lost
 photo by Midge Frazel, 2015

Our family history is not just about names and dates. Photographs help tell stories but there is nothing like holding a small object that belonged to an ancestor. It is a lot of responsibility to pass these items on to another generation. You may have heard the story but it is important to write them down. 

I feel so much better having found the bracelet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment