Sunday, November 13, 2016

Knowing the Date; Seeing the Future

Knowing the Date; Seeing the Future

Photo collage by Midge Frazel, 2016

I am the original "calendar girl". I love seeing the future while writing about the past. Living in the moment is not my style.

Before I moved here in 2010, I cleaned out the box in my basement where the calendars from years past go to die. I spent two hours going through the years 1960 to 2000, taking notes on events in my current journal. The years after that, I carefully folded, put in a plastic bag and brought here to finish the process while relaxing on the porch. I transcribe important events into a small notebook some time on New Year's Day. It is a year in review to see what I and my family need to know. I refer to them constantly. I think this is fun.

The huge calendar lives inside a closet on my first floor. My husband is trained to write his appointments on it. The next one is a perpetual calendar. When I go into my office I change it to the current day. The next one is the "monthly" view of my current planner and the small one next to that hangs on the wall in my office. I highlight holidays and of course, the full moon. For 2017, I am going to highlight these in different colors. Go ahead. Make fun of me. The worst thing that could happen to you is asking me to organize your life. So many begged me to do that and couldn't take it when I did.

The calendar I hate the most is the one in my phone. I still carry a thin 2 year paper calendar in my purse. That's my life in analog. 

I have observed that people do not really understand how to manage the information that calendars hold. I have some hilarious stories to share in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment