Friday, April 24, 2015

Trip the Tree with Janet

Janet Hovorka, April, 2015

Conference Moment #9: Family History Trips with the Chart Chick

I was delighted to meet Janet. Known as the "Chart Chick", she makes fabulous professional wall charts for your home or family reunions. But, that's not why I wanted to meet her. I wanted to hear how she managed to get children or grandchildren involved in family history. We took our big grandson to the cemetery where his paternal ancestors are buried. He was fearless. He fell down and then, he started to walk between stones. We got some cute photos of him with the stones. I love this one. It looks like he's reading the name.

Stepping on Stones, 2011

Hubs bought her book for me "Zap the Grandma Gap" and I forgot to get it signed because hubs was going back to the hotel to check in and he could put it in the car where it could be safe. I don't get to read it until Mother's Day.

A while back I wrote a book on "doing genealogy" combined with curriculum for educators. I called it, "Links to the Past...". Now, I need some ideas for introducing my little grandsons to our family history. My daughter is a Kindergarten teacher but not in the town she lives in so she asked our "big" grandson's teacher if any grade covered family history. Turns out it is 2nd grade. Yikes. I don't have much time to get this done. I also have to do this twice. 

Janet's presentation style was low-key and friendly. I felt like I was talking to a fellow educator. My Master's in Technology was quite the experience but it won't help me with this!

Janet was so nice to solicit ideas from her audience. I intend to share with her after I try things out. This is an important topic for all of us. Who will take over as our family historian? (Thanks, Janet)

1 comment:

  1. Who will take over as our family historian? That's a really good question. It reminds me to get my files in better order and my pictures all scanned!

    ReplyDelete