Friday, December 2, 2016

Pushing Seventy

Erin Condren Motivational Card., 2016
Sentimental Sunday: Pushing Seventy

Recently, I been thinking about how lucky I am to have lived this long. Some of the odds against it have been pretty amazing. Then, I thought about the first person that I remember dying and I worked out that my maternal grandfather was only 68 years 9 months 4 days when he passed away. He was quite ill for a long time.

Now, I have lived longer than his 68 years. I remember my mother marking her 69th birthday with this same thought of being older than her own father. My grandmother, his wife, lived to be 98. That's a long time to be a widow. When she turned 80, she gave up her apartment and went to live with my parents. An addition was added to the house so she could have a room of her own with her own bathroom. When I sold my parents home, that room was designated to be the master bedroom. I am sure no one thought of that when it was added to the house.

When I bought my 2017 planner, this motivational card was included in the package. Your future self means different things the older you get. Genealogists look to the past to discover the future and with that in mind, my husband and I went back to Rhode Island for a few hours to have lunch and do some needed Christmas shopping. I think it was a good thing to do to prepare for my future self. It is fitting that I am waiting for a bullet journal to arrive as the last of my birthday gifts. It will be fun to start my new year by planning my future self.

This year is my last before I turn 70 years old and I need to make it count. What will my future self be like?

No comments:

Post a Comment