Friday, May 6, 2016

Special Edition: John Whit Davis Dies at 91

Photo by Midge Frazel, 2008-20016
The Last of the Yankee Farmers

On 6 May 2016, the last of the Yankee Farmers passed away. I met Whit at the 2008 Stanton Reunion, held under a tent at the Stanton-Davis Homestead in Pawcatuck, CT. 

Whit was full of wit. Charming, spry and full of stories, his life was one of farming and conserving farm land.

I bought his father's book and Whit signed it for me while I took his photo. Just moments before, I visited the cemetery on the property and took several photos before the meeting. On the way out, I noticed that Whit's gravestone was already in place and was already corroded with lichen. His first wife, Hazel, was buried next to the stone. 

During our visit inside the house, which was being cataloged and sorted, I took several photos of the family photos on the wall and I can attest that my cousin Fred Burdick, has scanned those photos and put them in his family tree so that I can add them to mine.  

In this cemetery is buried Cuff STANTON, son of Venture SMITH who died at 92, so Whit will not be the oldest person buried there. 

Whit was my 8th cousin. He will be missed by his Stanton and Davis family.

No comments:

Post a Comment